Forensic Accountancy in Family Law
When evaluating the accuracy of disclosure in financial remedies proceedings it is important to consider the services of a forensic accountant that specialises in such cases
Professional Forensic Accountancy
Our main role in divorce matters is to ensure financial transparency by investigating the parties’ finances, both personal and business, with the ultimate aim being to identify and investigate any discrepancies, including revealing hidden assets and income streams.
It is also not uncommon for issues with HMRC to come to light during financial negotiations. In such cases, we can provide advice as to how any disclosure can be made to HMRC and then negotiate the most favourable settlement.
Request a call
How we can help with your
Forensic Accounting requirements
Identifying the most suitable Forensic Accountant for each case
The IDR network has a wide range of providers in this area, ensuring we can match the most suitable provider to you and your client. We can assist with simple tasks such as checking the legitimacy of bank statements to more substantive tasks such as business structures and cryptocurrency accounts.
Below is an example of some of the more specialist services our professional forensic accountants can provide
- Ascertain the value of assets held within those overseas jurisdictions
- Methodology will vary depending on type of asset e.g. holiday home/investment in commercial property/bank accounts/ shareholdings/other assets
- Understand and unravel offshore company structures to identify ultimate beneficial ownership
- Overseas valuation experts resident in those specific jurisdictions may be required on occasions
- Ascertain if the spouse owned cryptocurrency
- Determine if they bought and sold on an exchange or received cryptocurrency for goods & services
- Establish how they transacted in cryptocurrency
- Investigate whether they used cryptocurrency within their business
- Find out if the client can access the spouse’s records e.g. computers/phones/electronic devices
- Gather information from other financial records to ascertain any evidence of cryptocurrency ownership
- Engage with the trustees to establish who the beneficiaries of the trust are
- If the beneficiary is identified, then establish what assets are held in the trust, their value and the beneficiary’s entitlement
- For offshore trusts, establish if co-operation can be secured within the overseas jurisdiction to gather information
SPVs & Complex Business Structures:
- Establish shareholding/equity interest in SPVs and valuation from the assets and liabilities held within it
- Investigate the existence of potential shadow directorships
- Understand shareholding values and value of debts potentially owed by the company to the individual
Property & Real Estate:
- Utilise HM Land Registry data to test valuations on UK property
- Examination of potential capital gains tax liabilities for parties that have left the marital home
- Calculating HMRC capital gains tax liability where appropriate on other property and real estate to be disposed of in settlement
Integrated Dispute Resolution (IDR) brings together an unparalleled range of professional legal support services on one platform.
Embracing the concept of ‘client centric’ legal practice we enable lawyers to maximise their clients’ legal budget, minimising the time and costs spent on searching for the most appropriate ancillary services that may be required in the pursuit of the desired outcome in a legal matter.
Based on a Chambers model, the services of each professional member can be sought through a single point of contact through the IDR platform. All of the professional members are vetted and assessed on their abilities to perform services under each distinct area of law in which they wish to support. IDR enables lawyers to make the most effective and efficient use of their time and expertise.
By utilising the platform, lawyers and clients can be confident that they have the strongest possible team working together on their legal matter.
Not sure what support you require?
If you can’t find the support you are looking for on our website or are unsure what service you require, please contact us with a description of your requirements and we can discuss the options available to you.
Request a call
We are currently looking for individuals and organisations that provide legal and litigation support services, if you provide any of the services listed on this site and wish to join the IDR network and benefit from our established relationships with Law Firms and Barristers in the UK and beyond, please contact us today.